I know when Disney Animation Studios decided to make the movie Raya and the Last Dragon things were a lot different in our country. Even when it hit Disney Plus and theaters things were not quite where they are today. However, here we are posting memes and signs in support of the Asian community asking to ‘Stop Asian Hate’.
I shared how much I loved the movie when it was available on digital platforms. Raya and the Last Dragon is an entertaining and captivating film that I believe would be great for family movie nights and learning about another culture.
I believe this movie is an amazing example of how much representation matters and why we should as people work towards trust and learning more about others before judging them, a statement Chief Benga made in his speech to Raya when he wanted to unite the five lands of Kumundra.
Raya and the Last Dragon is available on Blu-ray today and was already for early access on digital platforms. You can and should take home the magic of the film to enjoy over and over again. I’ll also be giving two lucky readers the chance to win a digital code of the film. Giveaway details will be posted below.
About Raya and the Last Dragon
Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans, and dragons lived together in harmony. But when sinister monsters known as the Druun threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity. Now, 500 years later, those same monsters have returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the last dragon in order to finally stop the Druun for good.
However, along her journey, she’ll learn that it’ll take more than dragon magic to save the world—it’s going to take trust as well. From directors Don Hall and Carlos López Estrada, co-directors Paul Briggs and John Ripa, producers Osnat Shurer and Peter Del Vecho, and featuring the voices of Kelly Marie Tran as Raya and Awkwafina as Sisu.
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Raya and the Last Dragon Bonus Features*
- An Introduction to Us Again – Director Zach Parrish takes you behind the scenes of the Walt Disney Animation Studios short.
- Us Again – An elderly man and his young-at-heart wife rekindle their passion for life on one magical night.
- Taste of Raya – Dine along with Kelly Marie Tran and the film’s creative team–virtually–over a Southeast Asian menu inspired by the countries that influenced the film as they discuss their experiences creating the world of Kumandra.
- Raya: Bringing it Home – When the global pandemic of 2020 hit, production of Raya and the Last Dragon moved to the houses of over 450 people. We open a window into their lives and learn how they overcame massive obstacles to make an animated feature from home.
- Martial Artists – You’ll get a kick out of learning about the martial art forms and weapons used in the film as co-screenwriter Qui Nguyen and visual anthropologist Dr. S. Steve Arounsack share the inspiration behind the film’s action-packed elements.
- We are Kumandra – Meet members of the Southeast Asia Story Trust and discover the cultural influences that inspired the film…and how important this representation in a Disney animated film is to the people of the region.
- Outtakes – Step into the homes and behind the mics of the cast of Raya and the Last Dragon as they experience voice-over sessions in closets and shaky internet connections, which made recording this film unlike any other.
- Fun Facts & Easter Eggs – Take a look at some of the hidden surprises and behind-the-scenes secrets of Raya and the Last Dragon.
- The Story Behind the Storyboard with John Ripa – Co-Director John Ripa invites you to get an inside look at his thought process as he pitches a storyboard sequence from the film and talks about his amazing career with Disney Animation.
- Deleted Scenes
- Introduction – Head of Story Fawn Veerasunthorn introduces deleted scenes from Raya and the Last Dragon.
- The Bridge – Raya confronts an early version of the Druun in this deleted storyboard sequence.
- Escaping Namaari – See an early version sequence of an introduction to Namaari as an adult.
- Dragon Blade – Discover an early version of Raya’s sword, when it used to have magical powers.
- Meet Boun – Meet an early version of Boun before he was a chef and shrimp boat captain.
- The Heart of the Dragon – Co-Director John Ripa introduces a deleted scene that brought the theme of hope into the film.
Thanks to Disney Animation Studios two lucky readers will have the opportunity to win a digital code each to own a copy of the movie. Enter via the tool below. Giveaway ends June 1st, 2021.Raya and the Last Dragon Digital Code Giveaway