With most students learning that the possibility of returning to school before the end of the regular school year seeming very slim, Comcast has stepped up to offer their Internet Essentials program to families in need to internet access for continuity of learning experiences for their children.
Comcast, has been looking for ways to help through their Internet Essentials program, which is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program for low-income Americans. Since 2011, it has connected millions of individuals to the Internet.
A hallmark of this program has been the flexibility in adjusting Internet Essentials to meet the needs of low-income residents. Currently they have put in place two substantial program enhancements to help these families deal with this crisis.
- They want make it even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign up by offering new customers 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
- Also, they are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, they will ensure that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.
Their goal is to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:
- To receive the increased Internet speeds, existing customers will not need to do anything. The new speeds will be rolled out nationally over the next few days.
- They’ll send all new customers a free self-install kit that includes a cable modem with a Wi-Fi router. There will be no term contract or credit check and no shipping fee.
- To sign up, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
Comcast has also reached out to our thousands of governmental and nonprofit partners to help us spread the word. It’s their hope that broader access and faster speeds will help all Internet Essentials customers more easily work from home, access educational resources, obtain important government health care alerts, and stay in contact with their families during this difficult time.