Some wives would agree that getting their husbands to care for their hair is easier said than done. He won’t hesitate to visit the barbershop ever so often for a trim, shape up, or cut, but anything beyond that is considered “too much work.”
The crazy part about it is, men are visual creatures that place significance on their outer appearance but do the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance. Take conditioning, for instance, while your man might wash his hair in the shower, he stops short of applying conditioner.
Why It Matters
Whether your man wears a shortcut with waves, a mohawk filled with nappy curls, a mini afro, or dreadlocks, conditioning with a natural hair moisturizer is essential. Continue reading to learn more.
- Matted And Tangled Hair – Conditioning your hair helps to keep it from getting matted and tangled. As your hair grows, the natural curl pattern can cause hair strands to get caught together. While combing and brushing can assist, conditioners contain silicone that coats your hair strands and prevents interlocking.
- Hydration – While drinking water and applying moisturizer is ideal for keeping your hair hydrated, conditioning the hair only enhances the process. This is especially true for individuals with highly absorbent hair that tends to suck up moisture instantly. Conditioner helps to seal in the moisture for longer for healthier-looking hair.
- Strengthens And Prevents Damage – Everything from exposure to outdoor elements to regularly styling your hair causes the cuticles to weaken and the strands to break off. A good deep conditioner replenishes the hair and infuses it with the necessary proteins to keep it healthy and strong.
Incorporating Conditioning In His Routine
Explaining the reasons why conditioning is essential for your man’s hair probably won’t encourage him to incorporate it into his haircare routine. Chances are, you’ll have to find a way to make applying conditioner a simple and easy process. Here are a few suggestions to consider.
- Buy Combination Products – One way to get your man on board with conditioning his hair regularly is to purchase combination or 2-in-1 products. You can buy a shampoo and conditioner combo for men with natural hair. That way, when he washes his hair in the shower, he’s tackling a few tasks at once. When shopping for hair care products, ensure that you review the ingredients to avoid getting something that could damage his hair.
- Use Leave-In Conditioner – Wash-out conditioners are ideal for closing hair follicle cuticles and locking in any moisture that was lost during the washing process. Leave-in conditioners coat the hair adding moisture, shine, and eliminating frizz. Along with a 2-in-1 shampoo product, you also want to make sure you purchase a good leave-in conditioner to apply after he gets out of the shower. It’s as simple as applying a bit to your hands and rubbing it through your hair, so it doesn’t take much time or effort.
- Pamper Your Guy – There’s nothing wrong with a bit of TLC from a wife to her husband. If you want to get your man to start applying conditioner to his hair more often, why not pamper him a bit? As deep conditioning can be a bit more involved and time-consuming, give him a helping hand. At least once a month, wash and dry his hair. Then apply an all-natural conditioner and massage it into his scalp all the way to the ends of his hair. Finally, place a plastic cap on his head and allow the conditioner to sit. Rinse if necessary, or begin styling his hair as usual.
As much as you love your husband, getting him to do things that pertain to his health and wellness isn’t always that easy. If your guy cares about his appearance or wants to achieve beautiful, luscious, healthy-looking hair, encourage him to add conditioner to his daily routines. Buying combination products, using leave-in conditioner regularly, and periodically pampering him with a good deep condition and massage is sure to get him on board.