It’s another exciting week for Camp Warner Brothers in Stephensville for the kids and this week we had the pleasure of learning about making crystal candy. This week was fun and interesting. We have never made crystal candy before but we have seen Steven Universe before. We were looking forward to the movie and trying our hand at making our own candy. There are so many things you don’t notice during this pandemic until you need it. Like kitchen twine is hard to find now, well at least in my neck of the woods but I was able to find some party string that I felt would work for our craft.
Disclosure: We are participating in a sponsored program with Warner Brothers Entertainment. Any opinions expressed are my own.
It was fun learning about the science behind making the candy during our little experiment. Watching some videos online we learned a lot about how the candy formed and how to make sure it worked. I’m sharing videos of how we set up our jars and when we revealed them below so you can learn a few things from us along with a few tips so you don’t make the same mistakes like we did making our candy.
The Science Behind The Fun:
As time passes (and the solution cools), the water will slowly evaporate from the solution. As the water evaporates, the solution will become more saturated with sugar. The sugar molecules will collect on the string, and the candy crystals will grow molecule by molecule!
Extra Science Fun:
Try making two jars of candy. In the first jar – seed your “Crystal Gem” Candy by rolling your string in water and sugar. In the second jar do not seed your string with sugar before growing. Determine if using seed sugar crystals changes the growth rate of your “Crystal Gem” Candy!
About Steven Universe: The Movie:
After so many harrowing adventures, Steven and the Gems are ready to celebrate how far they’ve come with a movie musical! Little do they know they’re about to face their worst enemy yet.
Tips for Making Your Crystal Candy
- Make sure to use the paper clips or weigh down your strings.
- Make at least two jars to experiment with different colors.
- Add flavoring to your jars to give your candy flavor.
- Do not let the string or paperclips touch the bottom of the jars.
- Monitor the jar after four hours you will see growth in the jars.
- Once the crystal candy starts to form on the top remove it from the jar.
- If you plan to grow the candy longer than a day pours it into a new jar every day.
- Allow the syrup to dry off the candy before you eat it when you remove it from the jar.
- Experiment with strings and sticks to see how the candy grows on each.
- Try different experiments with strings with sugar and without to see how the candy grows.
Grab your copy of the directions of the Steven Universe Crystal Candy directions and your own copy of Steven Universe the Movie now for your family movie night.
Be sure to follow along next week to see what movie we’ll be watching and what activity we have planned for the third week of Camp Warner Brothers. I hope you guys are having as much fun as we are having and I plan on having a few surprises in the next coming weeks as well. So stay tuned.