As we close in on the end of 2019 I have to admit that this year hasn’t really been what I had hoped. There were times I felt like the whole world was on my shoulders and it was overwhelming at times. There were days I didn’t want to do much at all and those are the days it seemed like I needed to give more of myself. I love the holiday season, it brings me so much joy to give and spend time with family and friends. When I started the movie Overcomer from the Kendrick Brothers I never expected to get such an amazing gift myself.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Any opinions expressed are my own.
I’ve been watching films from the Kendrick Brothers for a while now. Fireproof is one of my favorite movies. My mom loves War Room. These are films that we both feel have poured into us and left an imprint on us that has stayed with us ever since we saw those films. When the movie showed up in the mail I was excited about putting it on. I usually mostly watch holiday films in December but this I wanted to watch immediately.
Once I started the movie within the first fifteen minutes I was already given gems of wisdom. This is definitely a film the whole family can enjoy together. It has a little bit of competition, some adversity, and lots of motivation. My oldest started to run track last year and it was a big learning experience for her. I loved sharing this movie with her and talking with her about the importance of not giving up and pushing through even when you’re alone.
The whole story is pretty amazing when you learn the story and how they are intertwined together. While I didn’t agree with some of the actions of the characters in the film. I do understand the motivations for the storyline. Overcomer will have you cheering for the underdog, crying tears of joy, and thinking about your faith. This is a great movie to add to your collection if you’re a Christian and enjoy faith-based films. Be sure to also look for the Kendrick Brothers six-movie set from Walmart if you don’t own any of their other movies.
The third Kendrick Brothers film to earn a rare A+ CinemaScore®, OVERCOMER also stars Priscilla Shirer (WAR ROOM, I CAN ONLY IMAGINE), Shari Rigby (OCTOBER BABY, WILDFLOWER), Cameron Arnett (MEET THE BROWNS, STAND YOUR GROUND) and newcomer Aryn Wright-Thompson.
OVERCOMER is from the creators of the #1 box-office hit War Room. Life changes overnight for coach John Harrison (Kendrick) after he loses his basketball team and is challenged by the school’s principal, Olivia (Shirer), to coach a new sport he doesn’t know or like. As John questions his own worth, he dares to help the least likely runner take on the biggest race of the year. Filled with a powerful mix of faith, humor and heart, this inspirational story will have you on the edge of your seat.
The Blu-ray, DVD and digital release come with an extensive array of bonus material, including 10 minutes of extended and deleted scenes, fun bloopers, exclusive commentary by the Kendrick Brothers, and a moving in-depth look at the power of forgiveness, identity and more.
A special Kendrick Brothers Six Movie DVD Gift Set will also be available exclusively at Walmart beginning December 17. The set will contain fan-favorite films OVERCOMER, WAR ROOM, COURAGEOUS, FIREPROOF, FACING THE GIANTS, and FLYWHEEL.
BLU-RAY AND DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS MATERIALS
- The Heart of Overcomer: See how the heart of Overcomer is grounded in personal growth, faith and identity.
- Creating the Opening Drone Shot: See how the stunning opening drone shot of the film was realized with a lot of ingenuity and a well-organized crew.
- Working with the Kendricks: Watch how Alex, Stephen and Shannon Kendrick found their path to filmmaking through authenticity and faith.
- Looks Behind-the-Scenes of: Editing, Composing, Coloring and Sound Design
- “Enough” (Lyric Video) Featuring Koryn Hawthorne
- Don’t Mess with the Editors: Check out what the editors of Overcomer created on the side for a little fun.
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL
- Feature Audio Commentary with Director Alex Kendrick and Producer Stephen Kendrick
- Bloopers & Outtakes
- 10 Minutes of Additional Scenes with an introduction from the Kendrick Brothers.
- The Making of Overcomer: Learn about how the crew worked together with faith and prayer to create this incredible film.
- The Theme of Identity: In this piece, the cast and crew discuss what the theme of identity means to them.
- The Power of Forgiveness: Describes why forgiveness is such an important theme of this film.
- “Overcomer” (Lip Sync Music Video) Featuring Mandisa
- Overcomer in 60 Seconds: a quick fun film recap.
- Overcomer Resources Video: Learn more about accompanying resources to help you grow in faith.