I love a good Disney movie night, especially when it’s one of the animated classics on the list. When my daughter was born, I couldn’t wait to introduce her to Disney Princess Movies. I had tried all the ones I loved, and some of the old classics, but she was uninterested until The Little Mermaid. Ariel stole her heart from the start, and we watched that movies everyday for almost a year. I’m excited about adding this classic to our collection again.
In honor of its 30th anniversary, two-time Academy Award®-winner
(Best Original Score and Best Original Song “Under the Sea,” 1989) “The Little Mermaid,” dives into the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection with all-new bonus features and a sing-along mode. The magical, musical tale of mermaid princess Ariel — along with loveable sidekicks Sebastian and Flounder, and the love-to-hate sea witch Ursula — is
“The Little Mermaid” is the seventh title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection, which includes groundbreaking films created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney, featuring timeless stories and characters that have touched generations. The film takes its place alongside “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “Bambi,” “The Lion King” and “Lady and the Tramp.”
ALL-NEW BONUS FEATURES: *
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
- Sing-Along Mode – Sing along to the movie in
this sing-alongversion of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song – From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney’s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O’Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel)as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all … “The Little Mermaid.” In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- “What I Want From You…Is YOUR VOICE” – Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of “The Little Mermaid” in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt’s Office – Gadgets & Gizmos – Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired
theinventionof audio-animatronics. We take a look at somethe collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold – Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series “Coop and Cami Ask the World” as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.”
DCapella“Part of Your World” Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features – revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard’s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker
- “Part of Your World” – A 30-Year Retrospective – Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney “I Want” songs “Part of Your World” and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features – Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
The Little Mermaid Anniversary Edition
We absolutely love this movie in our house. We’ve been loving the new bonus features on the signature edition. I highly recommend it just for the Sing-Along mode. We already know most of the lyrics, but now we can sing along, and use the right words to the song.
To celebrate the release, grab these free activity sheets and plan a fun movie night with all your mermaid loving friends.
Grab your copy of The Little Mermaid Signature Collection, even if you already own the movie. The bonus features on this edition make it a must-have for any Little Mermaid fan. Also, be sure to check out my post about 7 Things I Learned from Disney Animator Mark Henn.