On Monday my older sister celebrated her birthday and I decided to bake her a red velvet cake (her favorite). Here’s the recipe I used below. I hope she enjoys it.
Original recipe makes 1 – 2 layer 9 inch cake Change Servings
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon butter flavored extract
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 tablespoons red food coloring
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 – 9 inch round pans.
- Cream shortening, butter flavoring, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Make a paste with food coloring and cocoa and add to the shortening mixture.
- Mix buttermilk, salt, baking soda and vinegar; add to mixture. Slowly add flour to mixture.
- Put batter into 2 greased 9 inch round pans. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To Make Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine 1/2 cup butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until well blended.
The cake came out great. I cut off the tops of the cake so that it was more level and I was able to use it to make a trifle for my family for dessert last night. It was yummy. Give it a try.