I will admit I was late to the Downton Abbey party. I heard friends talking about the show and the movie that was being released in theaters at the time. I started to watch the series and I was immediately hooked. I even got my mom hooked on the series after a few episodes. For me, there wasn’t much wait between watching the series and the movie but for die-hard fans of the series, the wait was much longer.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
The Downton Abbey series wrapped up pretty neat in a bow for me, however, I think that’s because I knew a movie was coming with updates from the Crawley family and their staff at Downton. Really so much happened in the series finale that we needed to know what happened with Edith and her new husband. Did Mary have any children with her new beau, and where was Tom settling down?
The Downton Abbey Motion Picture did not disappoint. It answered so many questions I’ve had since finishing the series. Tom is still at Downton raising his daughter with her family. He does end up finding someone he’s interested in courting, although we don’t see that happen in the film. Edith and her husband are happy and they get some very exciting news in the movie. While we don’t get many updates on Mary and her family but we did get new characters from the Royal Family.
For me, the best part of the movie was Thomas’ storyline. While he wasn’t my favorite character in much of the series, he really grew on me towards the end. The movie showed us that Thomas was finally on his way to some hopefully happy times and that he might just find love, even if it’s one he has to keep secret.
If you’re looking for a great gift idea this holiday season, look no further than Downton Abbey the Motion Picture. It’s a great stocking stuffer for anyone who was a fan of the series of someone who loves history and to see period pieces. The costumes and sets are always beautiful and breathtaking. This movie was a perfect addition to the Downton Abbey legacy and I hope we can see more.
About Downton Abbey
DOWNTON ABBEY, the global sensation hailed as “a grand, cinematic experience” (Mike Reyes, Cinemablend) welcomes fans back for a spectacular homecoming from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Earning an “A” CinemaScore, the film, which is celebrated by critics as “a true love letter to the fans” (Catalina Combs, Black Girl Nerds), arrives just in time for the holiday season with a broad variety of bonus features, including exclusive conversations with the cast, deleted scenes and a series recap that whisks audiences away to a world of grandeur.
Based on Carnival Films’ Emmy® award-winning television series, the feature DOWNTON ABBEY sees the original cast return, alongside a host of newcomers. The incredible ensemble cast been applauded by critics as “funny and charming as ever” (Caroline Siede, The A.V. Club). The film chronicles the Crawley family one year after the conclusion of the series, as they prepare for the most important moment of their lives: an impending visit from the Royal Family. Join the glitz, glamour and spectacle as the special visit unleashes scandal, romance and intrigue on the fan-favorite family and its staff members. Lauded as “a delight” (Stephanie Zacharek, TIME), the film comes from the series screenwriter and producer Julian Fellowes, and producers Gareth Neame and Liz Trubridge.
The motion picture will also be available in a Deluxe Limited Edition, featuring the Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and Digital Code, presented in exclusive packaging along with a collectible photo book and recipe cards. Available only while supplies last, this special offering is the must-own gift for any Downton Abbey fan or to add to your own collection.
BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL BONUS FEATURES:
- Deleted Scenes
- Cast Conversations – Exclusive roundtable interviews with the cast.
- Upstairs Cast
- Downstairs Cast
- The Royal Visit – A look at how the royal visit proved to be an ambitious event both on and behind the camera.
- True to the Twenties – Fans of DOWNTON ABBEY are charmed by the sheer grandeur of the aristocracy in the early 20th century. Learn how DOWNTON ABBEY maintains a reputation of being true to the time period.
- Welcome to Downton Abbey – A behind-the-scenes look at the grandeur of Highclere Castle and how it serves as a cornerstone in the Downton Abbey franchise.
- The Brilliance of Julian Fellowes – Writer Julian Fellowes has created a story and beloved characters that resonate with people across the world. This piece celebrates Julian’s brilliant creativity and reveals his approach to bringing Downton Abbey to the big screen.
- Downton Abbey Series Recap* – Whether you’re new or just need a refresher, this series recap will catch you up on the story so far.
- Feature Commentary with Director Michael Engler
*Available only on Blu-ray™ and iTunes
DOWNTON ABBEY will be available on Blu-rayTM, DVD and Digital.
- Blu-rayTM unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.