Give the Gift of the Moonwalk with Motown 25 DVDs
You’ve probably seen the commercials for Motown 25 by now, when my husband saw it, he was over the moon with excitement. All he kept waiting for was the moment when Michael Jackson did the Moonwalk for the first time. He dropped all kinds of hints about how it would make a great gift, how it was musical history, how it’s on the top of his wish list and more. So when I had the opportunity to include it on my Holiday Gift Guide, I jumped at the chance.
The Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever is the ultimate gift for any music love and Motown fan. I can’t wait to see the look on my husband’s face on Christmas when he opens this box set up to find all the music he grew up listening to in the house. His mom would always play music in their house all the time and some of these songs bring back lots of memories. He’s most excited about the moonwalk on this set but he’s also excited about viewing the Motown 25 special all over again.
Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever debuted on NBC on May 16, 1983, and became an immediate sensation. The highlight that caused the most talk was Michael Jackson’s world premiere of the moonwalk (aka six seconds that changed the world) but Motown 25 had an abundance of buzzworthy moments—reunions by the Miracles, the Supremes andThe Jackson 5; the first battle of the bands betweenThe Temptations and Four Tops; and the hottest comedian in the world at the time, Richard Pryor, as host.
The release features an extended version of the show, with over 20 additional minutes not seen on the original broadcast, as well as brand-new 5.1 surround sound revealing the music at its fullest potential. The 6-DVD set also includes nine newly-produced featurettes and additional bonus programming including:
- “Signed, Sealed, Delivered – The Making of Motown 25”, which tells the behind-the-scenes story of the making of the program, and offers new insights into the rise of Motown and its roster of super stars
- “What’s Going On: Marvin Gaye”
- “Come and Get These Memories: Inside Hitsville”
- “Dancing In The Street: History of Motown” and more
- Rare footage of Marvin Gaye ad-libbing at the piano prior to a soulful version of “What’s Going On”
- Stevie Wonder rehearsal footage
- A 2-Part Motown 25 Performers Roundtable featuring Smokey Robinson and Duke Fakir (Four Tops), Otis Williams (The Temptations) and Executive Producer Suzanne de Passe, taped at the location of the original concert, the Pasadena Civic Auditorium
- A “Yesterday Today · Forever” Production Roundtable with de Passe, Director/Producer Don Mischer and others
- Over 25 exclusive interviews with performers and crew, including Claudette Robinson (The Miracles), Martha Reeves (Martha & the Vandellas), Smokey Robinson, Nelson George, Gloria Jones, Adam Ant, Ashford and Simpson, Buz Kohan (Head Writer), David Goldberg (Executive in Charge of Production), Mickey Stevenson (Former Head of A&R/Songwriter), Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (Songwriters/Producers) and many more.
Also included in the deluxe collector’s box are an exclusive 48-page collector’s booklet packed with information about the show and artists, production materials and never-before-scene photos from the production, essays on Motown performers, a copy of the original Motown 25 program and more!
There’s so much content on these discs that my husband will be watching for a long time. He’ll enjoy the never before seen content and enjoy the stuff from before that he’s seeing again. This is a must add to any collection. You can purchase the Motown 25 exclusively from MOTOWN25DVDS.COM. The 6 Disc DVD set is $79.95 and the 6 Disc DVD set with the 8 CD set is $159.95.