Get The Facts About Breast Cancer
It’s October 1st and that means its time to start talking about breast health. Every year for Breast Cancer Awareness Month we wear our pink to show our support and raise awareness but that’s just a small part in bringing true awareness to Beast Cancer the disease. This month I am partnering with Saint Agnes Hospital to share with you some of the facts about breast cancer and encourage you to find out What’s Your Month for obtaining a mammogram.
Did you know that one in eight women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime, however only 50% of women age 40 and over are getting mammograms. What are you doing to encourage those you love to get checked? In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month Saint Agnes Hospital is launching a breast cancer awareness campaign called “What’s Your Month”, to encourage women to get their yearly mammograms. The goal of this campaign is to encourage women 40 and over to proudly own their month and encourage other women to schedule their mammograms and identify their month as well. Saint Agnes believes Breast Cancer Awareness expands beyond October and they are committed to engage women throughout the year, serving as a reminder of how important an annual mammogram is to their good health. Check out the “What’s Your Month” campaign video below.
What Are the Stats?
- African American women have a higher incidence rate of breast cancer before age 40
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the U.S., accounting for almost 30% of newly diagnosed cancers
- In 2014, 32% of Saint Agnes’ breast cancer patients were African American
- African American women are more likely to die from breast cancer at all ages
As an African American woman this is very alarming stats for me and for my family and friends. I’m not old enough for yearly mammograms but my mother is and her month is her birthday month. I’ll be sharing about her story next month so be sure to come back and read about it.
How Can You Take Control?
- age 20-34: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional every 3 years
- age 35-39: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional every 3 years; get baseline mammogram for reference
- age 40+: administer breast self-examination monthly; get physical examination of the breast by trained professional yearly; get mammogram yearly
If you or someone you know is over the age of 40, I urge you to get a mammogram, October is a great month for your yearly mammogram, however you can also choose your birthday month. No matter what month you choose getting a mammogram is important to breast health.
About Saint Agnes Hospital’s Comprehensive Breast Center
The Comprehensive Breast Center at Saint Agnes presents highly recognized physicians at the forefront of advanced techniques, equipment and clinical trials. The team is a trailblazer in breast cancer treatment:
- One of the first in the state of Maryland to implement a multi-disciplinary team approach to breast cancer treatment, bringing together a variety of specialists to create one comprehensive plan, under one roof
- The first center in Maryland to use Tomotherapy radiation technology, providing greater precision over older techniques where radiation would encompass the entire tumor but result in significantly more radiation to surrounding organs
- One of the first 135 hospitals nationwide fully accredited by the National Accreditation Program of Breast Centers
- The first and only breast center in Maryland to use Accuboost technology, providing a safer and more effective radiation option
- Regularly participates in clinical trails, giving patients access to cutting edge treatment options
Enter to Win:
Saint Agnes Hospital is sponsoring a giveaway for a Vitamix Blender. One lucky reader will win. Open to US residents 18 and older, giveaway ends October 29th. Enter via the tool below: